Wednesday, October 9, 2013

DIY Headboard

First off, thank you all for your sweet comments on my exciting post from yesterday! :) 

Throughout university I never had a proper bed. I had a REALLY comfy mattress and box spring but never a headboard of any sort, which suited me fine.

After I graduated, I proceed to purchase the Ikea Malm bed frame. Worst idea known to mankind (apologies to anyone who has the bed frame). I swear, I could have built something with twigs and branches and it would have been more sturdy than that thing. I put up with it for about 2 years before I bit the dust.

Ikea Malm Bed - terrible.


Once it busted, I then made the best decision known to mankind and bought a kind mattress/box spring. Oh I love you king mattress. If you don't have a king mattress and have space for one, do yourself a favour and PLEASE get one. Even if you live by yourself. It will make going to bed each night even more enjoyable. I promise.

I shopped around for headboards at various stores from West Elm, Urban Brick, Urban Barn, Sears, Walmart, Home Outfitters - you name it, I looked. I really liked the upholstered headboard look and feel. Since there is already a lot of wood in my condo, a wood headboard would be too much and they usually tend to be more expensive.

After a few months of searching, I decided to just say heck with it all, and make my own. I don't have any photos of the magical DIY process for you as this was before my blogging time and I pretty much just winged it. I will say that carrying a piece of plywood that's the length of a king size bed in a 2 door civic on a highway = SCARY!!! My materials for this project only consisted of high density foam (the most expensive part), fabric, plywood, spray adhesive and a staple gun.

My headboard is far from perfect but I absolutely love it. I love that it cost me only about $100.00 total and if I hate it in a few years, it won't matter. I love that when/if I ever move I am not stuck with the same frame and I can easily make a new one or just reupholster what I already have.

What I would change next time around is making sure the fabric isn't pulled to tight when I staple it at the top as it is a bit noticeable. I'm over it though haha!
 Without further adieu, here she is:




Ignore the pillows and how they are not straight! :)
 Lamps - Winners
Duvet - West Elm
Night Stands - Ikea

6 comments:

  1. Looks great! I wish I had room for a king bed. For now, my queen will have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of years ago, my husband and I were considering about sleeping in separate rooms then we bought the King Size bed... best decision yet! :)
    Loving that headboard and your duvet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, it came out great. The comforter is pretty too, like the color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaah, love this so much! We're actually looking to get a new headboard; ours is from Ikea, and it's sturdy, but it's slanted, and our pillows always slide upwards while we sleep. Not ideal! I would love to do something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness I love it! great job! your color scheme is great and I love your bedspread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I am always afraid to try any craft project over $20. I love the pintuck bedding, too!

    ReplyDelete